Elder Seth Barrus

Elder Seth Barrus
Jakarta Indonesia Mission May2013-2015

Monday, March 16, 2015

Demam Berdarah (Dengue Fever)

Anyone home?
All that knocking on wood I did was to no avail, because for the first time in my mission,  I had to stay home for a whole day because of my own physical ailment. I'm 100% OK now. But last Thursday my temperature was 104 degrees, I threw up in the shower, and my joints were all achy. Sister Donald told me it was the beginning stages of Demum Berdarah (dengue fever) and said if I wasn't feeling any better by morning, I was going to the same hospital as Elder Tufaga (who had just been released after battling dengue for a week). I was given a blessing, some medicine, and said lots of prayers. I woke up in the morning feeling miraculously better. My temp had dropped to 100, my joints weren't too achy, and I somehow convinced Sister Donald that I didn't need to go to the doctor. But she just said I couldn't go out the next two days. I just slept the first day away. And then Saturday, Elder Tufaga kept me company because he wasn't allowed to go out either. I went to church yesterday feeling fine. After sharing how I felt with Elder Tufaga, he said that's exactly what he experienced before he got diagnosed with dengue. I'm not too sure why I was so lucky and only had to stay inside for two days, but I'm certainly grateful!

Other than that, Axxxxxxxxxxx was confirmed! He's got a great voice so we joke around with him all the time and call him Obama. 

Every Wednesday, we hold a Game Night at the mission home in Senopati where we bring our investigators and just play board games. It's a great chance for investigators and members to get to know each other and us in a relaxing setting. Nxxxxxxxx came for the first time and loved it! We played liar's dice and found out he was the best liar. He texted us last Saturday when we reminded him about church and he said "My college schedule is still crowded, but I will come to church. Absolutely, I"ll keep coming to church. It makes me closer to God." He still doesn't want to get baptized yet, but we're working with him. On the other hand, Axxx wants to get baptized on the 19th of April! We made it official by giving him a white shirt and tie to wear to church. He will be the most fly Mormon in the entire world once he's baptized. 

Axxxx looking fly!
Mission Leader Conference will happen tomorrow and after that, Zone Training Meeting on Friday. Weird to think that these are some of the last mission leadership meetings I will ever attend. Our 80 day Book of Mormon challenge is going good, but it serves as a way for Elder Wintolo to keep track exactly how many days I have left. And then he makes clock "ticking" noises indicating that the time is winding down. Ha ha! I love him so much. 

That's about it from my side of the island. Hope everyone has a great week! 

Elder Barrus

Jakarta. A high rise business office caught on fire last week. It took a
loooong time for them to put the fire out. It's a different place over here.



No comments:

Post a Comment