Elder Seth Barrus

Elder Seth Barrus
Jakarta Indonesia Mission May2013-2015

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pictures from the MTC (and an email)


Apa Kabar Semua!
This week seemed to fly by! Even though our schedule is still way messed up, I'm finally starting to know where to go and what to do during certain times. I think it was Dad that asked what a regular day is like, so I'll tell you! 

6:20 am wake up, roll over and say prayers
6:25 shower
7:00 class or personal study
8:00 breakfast
9:00 class
11:00 language study
12:00 TALL (technology assisted language learning)
1:00 lunch
2:00 class
6:00 dinner
6:30 gym time, more class or personal study
9:00 daily planning session with companion
9:30 back to residency
10:30 back in bed

Mary Ellen's devotional talk was soooo good!!! She kept everybody laughing, engaged, and inspired. She's definitely got a gift, I'm sure you know about that, Mom. Sister Jibson and Sheffield pretty much idolize her now. But I don't blame them! Mary Ellen is one inspiring Saint! I'll send more on that in a written letter. 

As a heads up, this is our last week living at the Provo MTC.  We move to Wyview next Tuesday, and we'll be having classes at Raintree. I'll email and let you know the new address, and other changes like that. It's like a real-life mission transfer! We had some high up brother come and talk a little bit to us about it and they'll be bussing us back for 30 minutes while Elder Funk comes and talks to us. I think he's coming on the 28th or 29th.. Can't remember. Way exciting though!! Thanks for the interesting article! He sounds like a very intriguing man! (Elder Randy Funk is a new member of the Seventy who served a mission to Indonesia. He wanted to meet with this district when he comes to the MTC next week. He was featured in the Church News last Saturday.)

So it turns out that our "investigator" Colin speaks fluent English, 100% Mormon, from Utah, and served his mission to Malaysia back in the day. You can only imagine our astonishment and slight annoyance when we heard him speak English to us for the first time. I mean, when he saw us struggling for words to say, he totally understood every word we were saying as a companionship in English! He played it so well! I'm definitely glad for the experience though. I learned a lot about listening to the Spirit and teaching with my companion. We're teaching two new investigators, John and Shinta, and we're teaching pretty well! I'll say it again: The Gift of Tongues is real!

We received about 12 new elders and 2 new sisters into our zone all going to Madagascar! Sadly, I'm the only 18 year old left in my zone. Everyone's so old. :P But I still love them. The Georgian, Armenian, Slovakian, and Azerbaijani elders and sIsters leave this week and we should be getting new ones soon. I'll keep you posted.

We had Elder Marcus B Nash from the seventy come to Devotional and he spoke about becoming converted to the basics and fundamental truths of this Gospel: Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, Repentance, Baptism, and receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost. I can't convince my Investigators to read the scriptures, have faith, or even become baptized if I am not totally CONVERTED to those very truths. It really was an inspiring message.

I'll send handwritten letters today to all the chilluns, because I"ll have more time to do that, but it was good to hear from everyone! Injil Yesus Kristus adalah benar! Terus Menarus!
-Elder Barroos


"The District" at the temple

Elder Barrus and Elder McCleary (friends off the court)

Elder Murphy (Seth's companion) and Seth with Sister Sheffield photobombing

Meeting of the roommates--with Nathan Peters the first day at the MTC

No comments:

Post a Comment